Notifications
Clear all

Recycling 3D printing waste  

louis
(@louis)
Member Admin

Recycling 3D printing waste is a topic of interest for many of us !

I am lauching this topic so that we can freely exchange knowledge about our common goal. 

Please feel free to ask questions, so that I or someone else can react.

Best regards,
Louis

Posted : 30/04/2020 12:48 pm
EllisMarshall
(@ellismarshall)

Hi Louis,

I saw on your video of extruding filaments on Youtube that you shredded down old filament spools. How did you break them down to fit in the shredder?

Secondly, any tips for shredding PLA when it is really stringy after a failed print? It's near impossible to get it close enough to the shredder. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2020 5:25 pm
louis
(@louis)
Member Admin

Hello @ellismarshall

I am always glad to help you.
Thank you for watching our video ! ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9OuNUuVbdI   which I am linking here, for other visitors)

This batch of spools was pre-chopped with an axe, as a matter of fact.
Other methods are possible, such as :
- bigger-scale shredder (which would give a particle size to big for extrusion, but small enough for a fine shredding)
- other tools : saw, cutters

We had to consider the following in the case of PS : 
- the spools were quite big in volume but rather fragile
- polysterene releases toxic fumes when heated up, even at reasonable temperatures 

PLA strings :
I think I see what you mean here. Unfortunately, the metal plates in the hopper have been mounted for safety and make it impossible to push down with a stick. One trick you can maybe do it to unplug the shredder, remove the hopper, carefully place the 'ball' of stringy PLA straight in the teeth (with great care, and wearing cutproof gloves), then place the hopper back on, plug the shredder and start shredding.

Has this been helpful ? 
Please let me know what you think, and I will try to assist you further.

Best regards,
Louis

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 2:43 pm