Notifications
Clear all

Extruder motor or encoder problem

MikeAllan
(@mikeallan)

Hi Louis? I have been having a terrible time trying to track down a problem I am having with 2 Next Advanced filament extruders.

I apologise but this will be a long post.

to set the scene

About 2 tears ago one of our research partners bought 3 Next advanced filament extruders. 2 of them remained the research partners facility and the other one was transferred to our University. The one we had at the Uni worked well (apart from a Devoboard replacement 12 months ago. V1.5 board installed) up till now. We are now getting almost constant "Extruder motor or encoder problem" errors at startup. 1 time in 10  or 20 tries it may start correctly. We are extruding PLA based composite material which has quite high MFI (15gm/10mins 2.16kg)

Our research partner basically destroyed the 2 units they had during the project and I obtained them as a source of spare parts. I was able to build 1 working unit from the 2 sets of parts. It worked well on PLA for some trial work and I have produced about 5 spools of PLA using the unit built from parts of the 2 destroyed machines. This machine is now giving the same error with an empty barrel and screw.

I have completely puled apart the extruder, cleaned the screw and barrel re assembled and it started once correctly when I tried this morning in my cold shed (9 deg C) but when I tried this afternoon it failed at start up. (25 deg C) Note the barrel is empty of all polymer. The optical hopper sensor is disabled.

During the trouble shooting of the problem with the first extruder I have changed devo boards, changed drive motors, changed RPM sensors, and the errors persisted, At the time the parts I exchanged were taken from a machine that was then working (the machine I built from the 2 destroyed machines). I am at a complete loss as to what the problem is. 

Any guidance you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Topic starter Posted : 26/08/2020 5:02 am
timo
 timo
(@timo)
Member Admin

Hi @mikeallan,

I'm sorry to hear about this frustrating journey. We have developed a diagnostic firmware version to allocate the problem. My colleague from Service@3devo.com will send it to your e-mail adress today, including instructions.

Hopefully we will be able to find and fix the issues quickly this way.

This post was modified 6 months ago by timo

Best regards,

Timo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2020 9:04 am
MikeAllan
(@mikeallan)

@timo Thank you Timo, I have received the email and the instructions. This was a very prompt reply. It is 8.30 PM here in Australia as I type this and I am at home so I will not be able to try the fixes sent by email until friday due to other commitments tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/08/2020 10:32 am
mjabad@udc.es
(@mjabadudc-es)

Hi @timo,

We have had a Precision Filament maker since 2 years ago, and now it has the same problem ("extruder motor or encoder problem") that does not allow to turn on the machine, could you help me?

thank you.

María

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/11/2020 4:26 pm
timo
 timo
(@timo)
Member Admin

Hi María, (@mjabadudc-es)

My apologies for the late reply, I'm sorry to hear that.

What material were you processing? And did this error occur during the extrusion process or when starting the machine up again after a while?

Have a nice weekend,

Best regards,

Timo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/11/2020 12:00 pm
mjabad@udc.es
(@mjabadudc-es)

Hi@timo, the error ocurrs when starting the machine. The last material extruded was polypropylene with 8% wt  of filler. In that moment, the extrusion was sussesful and the machine worked as usual.

Any idea about the problem?

regards

María

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/11/2020 4:29 pm
timo
 timo
(@timo)
Member Admin

Hi María, (@mjabadudc-es)

Thanks for letting me know, I was asking this since many materials can cause irreversible damage to the extruder if left in the machine, but PP is luckily not one of them, since it is thermally quite a stable material. This means it is probably a hardware issue.

In the attachment I have added a zip file, containing a word doc on how to analyse the issue and proceed, as well as the necessary files. (you can skip the first step in the word doc.)

If you reach the point where you have to send the diagnostic file, you can send it to service@3devo.com.

Best regards,

Timo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/11/2020 4:54 pm