Extruding PP from recycled plastic from ocean
I am extruding PP plastic we got from a company gathering plastic from the ocean. I do not have a datasheet or any other material information. Does anyone have experience with extruding PP? What are good temperature to use?
I was trying it for 2 days with temperatures around 170-180 degrees, but I can't manage to fine tune it to have a consistent thickness.
HDPE from the same company was working very nice.
Thank you for any advice
Great Idea. Love to know more about where and how the company is collecting.
It looks like the filament is coming out with a "like" drawn or pulled effect. So it looks like the crsytalisam of the plastic is not homogeneous.
I was having the same issues with HDPE the other day with Contaminated materials, that I think had other plastics in the shred and not only HDPE. So I would double check if it is only PP. (I have no idea how to check that).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polypropylene Note the comments on "thermal properties". It looks like you're temps are in the right range.
Just some thoughts, Adrian
For 2mm Rpm 5, H 4- 165, 3-170, 2- 170, 1- 165. Fan at 30% for HDPE.
But if you have seen my other posts, I am still planning to play with the Temps. But it works so far.
What is your reason for the low RPM?
You could also try to sort out a few handfuls of pallets from the "striped" ones to the solid green, then only use only one colour to extrude X meters then put in the other colour and see if it has any effects.
I meant to ask, are you making this for use in a 3D printer?
Sorry for late reply. Yes, I am making filament for 3D printing. I am testing that now, but finetuning settings for print is becoming tricky. Especially adhesion to the bed. Do you have any experience with this?
My understanding is that the biggest issue with HDPE, is that the plastic does not stick to it's self. Therefore as you know with FDM printers you need to manage the Print head and Bed temp. When I tried a few months ago I was have heaps of issues. Warping after first few layers was the major problem and the it looked awful.
I was able to print at 100C bed and slowed down the speed. I also have built a enclosure for ABS, that I don't use for PLA, so I put that on and it seemed to help.
I found this website that helped me get some reasonable success. Have a read for some new ideas.
Hope it helps.
I am using Raise3D Pro2 Plus, which is fully enclosed. And right now I am running it at 280C nozzle, 70C for heatbed. After all day of troubleshooting the best for adhesion was packing tape. But at third layer it starts lifting from the bed, warping too much and I can't manage to solve it.
I tried other solution, and made a new filament with 50% HDPE and 50% PLA. It's much stiffer and nicer to work with. But I can't get to second or third layer, as the printer stops extruding, as the filament gets stuck next to drive wheel. I think it must be something with temperature and underextrusion.
Your article helped me a lot! Thanks :D
Back to the testing...
Have a nice day