Notifications

Filament Maker Screw Removal  

3dtech
(@3dtech)

Hello,

I wanna ask you about the cleaning of the machine. Is it possible to get the screw out of the machine to clean it thoroughly.

Thanks in advance. 

Best regards,
Gallio

Posted : 04/02/2020 3:17 pm
Topic Tags
timo
 timo
(@timo)
Member Admin

Hello Gallio,

It is possible to take out the screw, however the machine is not designed to do this easily, since the screw can also be properly cleaned using purging compound. Taking out the screw can be very tricky, and if it is not done properly there is the risk of damaging parts.

If you still want to take out the screw and you think you will manage, I can send you a step-by-step manual for this as well.

With kind regards,

Timo

Best regards,

Timo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/02/2020 3:35 pm
3dtech
(@3dtech)

Hello,

Thanks a lot again. Since we are experimenting with a lot of materials and formulations, purging after each extrusion will consume time and a lot of devoclean. Besides, some degradation products may be integrated in the new filament. So, a thorhough cleaning may be necessary. It would be if you could send us the step by step manual to take out the screw.

Best regards,
Gallio

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/02/2020 3:54 pm
timo
 timo
(@timo)
Member Admin

Hello Gallio,

Purging after every extrusion indeed takes time, but this is a good way in upholding the machines’ performance and preventing contamination. And if it is done properly, the screw does not have to be taken out every time (which is very time consuming).

However, I have sent you the manual to your email, please let me know if you have further questions about it or are unsure about something.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Timo

Best regards,

Timo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2020 8:34 am
artsem080
(@artsem080)

@timo hi, can I also receive this manual? Thank you in advance!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2020 3:27 pm
timo
 timo
(@timo)
Member Admin

@artsem080 Hi, I just sent you an e-mail with the info! 😊 

Kind regards,

Timo

Best regards,

Timo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2020 12:52 pm
cshen2
(@cshen2)

@timo

Hi, could you please send me the manual to remove the screw, too?

I also wonder how you should switch nozzles. It took us a lot of effort to remove the original nozzle, and we couldn't put the removed nozzle back any more. What's worse was that we didn't screw the new nozzle tight enough, it dropped off during the extrusion. The outlet area is totally contaminated by polymers. We couldn't clean it when it's melted because it's too hot. It's also too hard to clean when it's cooled. Do you have any suggestion?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/02/2020 5:38 pm
louis
(@louis)
Member Admin

Hello @cshen2 ,

Thank you very much for sharing your questions.

I just sent the guide to you by email, as well as some additional warnings.

As far as the cleaning of the knee area is concerned, this has to be done when the plastic is hot. You can try to:
- remove the top hood of the machine https://support.3devo.com/remove-top-hood/
- cut one metal tie wrap and open the glass wool out of the way (from around the die head)
- heat up the contaminated area with a heat gun (carefully finding the right temperature to make sure you do not burn the plastic)
- manually remove as much plastic as possible, using pliers, tweezers, a blade... (being careful not to damage the thermocouple and other components)

Hopefully, after cleaning the area, you will be able to make the screw spin again and start purging the machine with Devoclean MidTemp.

After that, you will be able to replace the nozzle. You will also have to clean the inside of the knee very well, using tweezers when the plastic is hot. We recently created new nozzles that cannot pop out of the machine because of their built-in ring. Do you need a nozzle+nut ?

Can you please tell me more about the material which is currently solid in the machine ?

If the method is unclear, or if you do not manage to clean the machine yourself, please let us know.
I would like to make sure we get your unit up and running again as fast as possible.

Wishing you good luck, and a nice day.

Best regards,

Louis

Best regards,
Louis

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2020 10:29 am