Notifications
Clear all

More effektiv cooling  

RSS
Gerd
 Gerd
(@gerd)

Hi,

I‘ve done some experiments to optimize cooling, just quick and dirty, but seems to be effective. I was able to increase extrusion speed.

I'll integrate an cooling tunnel for circulate cooling, but first I've to look for an silicon tube for my puller. :-(

Also have an idea for integrating water cooling.

Keep you informed

Gerd

1586169638-IMG_2087.jpeg
Posted : 06/04/2020 11:40 am
Topic Tags
Gerd
 Gerd
(@gerd)

Demo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2020 12:23 pm
Unwast3D
(@unwast3d)

Hello,
I'm interested in your prototype, do you manage to have a round filament at higher rpm with this ?
What about the diameter consistency ? Is it still acceptable ?
Do you mind sharing your stl files ?

I'm looking forward for your answers !

Simon

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/04/2020 4:35 pm
louis
(@louis)
Member Admin

Hello @gerd ,

Thank you very much for sharing this with us. 
Your design is very impressive and smart.

I apologize for replying so late : I missed a few messages because of the quarantine situation.

The great advantage is that the cooling path is a lot longer, so you could even add extra fans along that path. It also prevents the filament from becoming curly (going left and right). 
The only downside is that the printed wheels must be able to withstand the output temperature.

I would still be extremely curious to hear about your results : maximum RPM, diameter consistency.

I currently do not have any feasable ideas concerning a water cooling system. It would be a lot more tricky to set up, since the pulling speed would need to slow down enough to allow the filament to not be pulled straight, 'horizontally', but rather going underwater in a 'bow shape'.

Please keep us informed, and let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Best regards,
Louis

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2020 8:55 am
Gerd
 Gerd
(@gerd)

@louis

At moment i'm testing with PLA. Wheels are made of ASA, hot PLA don't stick good on ASA so there are no problems. Other materials could be a problem with ASA wheels, but there are many other materials to test.

Actual RPM ist 11,5 RPM, I can not test higher speeds for 1,75 mm Filament because highest automatic puller speed (1888) or highest manual puller speed of 1920 is reached. Diameter is very stable +- 0,07 mm, filament is minimal oval. I've to do more tests with cooling.

Are there possibilities to get higher puller speeds? firmware update? So I can test higher RPM.

I'll update the design of the construction, so I have a variable length of the cooling path.

I'll keep you informed.

Gerd

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2020 9:41 am
Gerd
 Gerd
(@gerd)
Posted by: @unwast3d

Hello,
I'm interested in your prototype, do you manage to have a round filament at higher rpm with this ?
What about the diameter consistency ? Is it still acceptable ?
Do you mind sharing your stl files ?

I'm looking forward for your answers !

Simon

@Simon , I'm on a good way with PLA. As soon as tests are finished i'll share STLs.

Kind regards

Gerd

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2020 9:45 am
Unwast3D liked
louis
(@louis)
Member Admin

Thank you @gerd ,

I see what you mean. Indeed, the maximum puller speed limits the experiments. 
As you said, switching to manual pulling allows you to increase the pulling speed up to 1920 instead of 1888. Unfortunately, our current firmware has not been designed to work at higher speeds.
That being said, I am taking note of your request, and will definitely discuss this matter with my team.

+/-0.07mm is a very good tolerance. Can you print such filament ? I know that certain printers have trouble as soon as the filament is thicker than +0.05mm.

Again, your work is very impressive ; thank you very much for sharing that with us, and please feel free to ask any other question you might have.

Wishing you a nice day,
and stay safe.

Best regards,
Louis

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/04/2020 1:27 pm
Gerd
 Gerd
(@gerd)

@louis

Yes I printed this filament with a Prusa I3 MK3 without problems. This printer also takes filaments with tolerances > +– 0,07 mm.

Have a nice weekend 

Gerd

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/04/2020 1:38 pm
DerDa
(@derda)

Hi Gerd,

your project looks great and is exactly what I need. How have the tests been going so far? Would you share the STLs or did it show that there is room for improvement here and there?

kind regards

DerDa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2020 7:06 am