Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Optical sensor failure?  

RSS
MikeAllan
(@mikeallan)

Part the way through a run today the optical sensor stopped working. At the same time it appears the stepper motor that positions the filament across the spool stopped as well. Thus the diameter was mot controled and the filament bunched up in the centre of the spool.

Any thoughts on what I need to do to fix it?

Posted : 14/07/2020 5:21 am
MikeAllan
(@mikeallan)

A bit more troubleshooting has found that the stepper motor that positions the filament across the spool goes through its normal zero position setup at extrusion start but once you start the spooling it no longer moves.

Still no joy with the optical sensor. Is the optical sensor some how coupled to the stepper motor that positions the filament on the spool?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2020 1:50 am
Service
(@service)

Hi MikeAllan,

Thank you for your question about the filament sensor and the positioner. 

The filament sensor is not connected to the stepper motor of the positioner. The positioner should normally just work. However, you have to press 'Start Spooling' via the menu.
About the filament sensor, there are a number of reasons why it wouldn't work;

1. There is too much light in the filament sensor. Have you closed the Filament Maker’s door? Is the machine placed under too much light? Have you ever tried to move and extrude the machine with the door closed (and possibly the light off)? Or even a darker room?
  2. The sensor is dirty. You can carefully pick up a cloth between the glasses through which the filament passes, to clean the sensor.
  3. Is the filament running correctly/straight true the filament sensor? Is the tension good? Make sure that the filament sensor only sees the filament (well) when it is completely in the curve (back end) of the filament sensor. Otherwise it is out of range.
  4. If the above points do not help, it is possible that the cables are not connected correctly in the filament sensor or the connector is not correctly inserted into the pcb (Devoboard).
  5. If non off the above points work you can carefully remove the glass lenses. If you send a email to service@3devo.com I can share you a manual how to take these out and clean.

Hope this helped.

Best regards,

Mike Reinalda

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2020 9:58 am
MikeAllan
(@mikeallan)
Ok to set the scene. I have been using this filament extruder for more than 2 years. I know how to start the spooling of the filament.
The issue started part the way through the making of a spool of filament at approx, 1/3 of a spool. Up to this point everything was working as it should. I went to lunch and when I returned the filament optical sensor was reading 0.00mm and the positioner had stopped moving as there was a amount of material built up in one spot on the spool, not distributed across the spool as it usually does. I rested my finger on the lead screw that moves the positioner to see if it was moving and it was not.

The filament extruder was not moved so the amount of light hitting the sensor did not change from before I went to lunch and after I returned from lunch.
The door was closed from the moment the filament spooler was started. So there is no change there. There was plenty of tension on the filament. I have removed the side cover and checked the connections and all seems to be in order. As I said before everything was working correctly for about 1/3 of the spool and then something changed that was nothing to do with me or the room or the light in the room.

I will check the optical sensor for cleanliness, but that has no bearing on the positioner. I suspect a problem with the devo board.

Please advise my best course of action....
ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2020 12:47 pm
MikeAllan
(@mikeallan)

I have just checked the 2 glass plates in the optical sensor and they were quite dirty. I have cleaned them and I am waiting for the extruder to heat up. I will let you know the outcome.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/07/2020 5:18 am
MikeAllan
(@mikeallan)

Good news on both issues. The optical sensor is working again as is the positioner. So although you stated they are not related it seems that they are somehow related. 

All is now working as it should Thank you for the assistance.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/07/2020 6:33 am