Notifications
Clear all

Settings for PEKK extrusion  

MikeAllan
(@mikeallan)

Are there any recommended start settings for PEKK extrusion? (ie zone temperatures etc) Tg is 160C Tm is 305C.
I have a Next Advanced Filament extrude.

Posted : 21/02/2020 5:23 am
louis
(@louis)
Member Admin

Hello @mikeallan ,

Thank you very much for your question ; PEKK is an interesting material which can be risky for the machine if you are not careful.
It is hard to give you the perfect temperature profile, since each individual grade of PEKK is different. However, we can define a thermal framework within which you will be able to experiment safely and find the optimal settings.

The idea is to set all temperatures high enough to guarantee that all the PEKK melts, and then you can start adjusting them, keeping on eye on the output to make sure you do not go too low. If you do go too low, the PEKK might solidify inside the machine.
For PEKK, I would start the test on 360deg C (on all heaters).
To give to you an idea, we once recycled PEKK with (H4) 330 340 350 320 (H1). Those were good settings, but still not the perfect ones.

Please make sure you check out our method : https://support.3devo.com/how-to-start-the-extrusion/    (especially video and section 4). I attached a PEEK report to this message to give you a more illustrated explanation. It does not apply directly to PEKK, but the research method is the same. To transition to PEKK, you will need Devoclean MidTemp and Devoclean HighTemp.

Is the method clear to you ? 
Please let me know if you would like further information, and I will do my best to make sure you have all the tools you need.

Wishing you a nice day

Best regards

Louis

Best regards,
Louis

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2020 7:16 am
MikeAllan
(@mikeallan)

@louis Many thanks Louis, I have been working with polymer extrusion for the last 20 years, but mainly with polyolefins. The PEKK we want to use is Arkema Kepstan 6000.

The experimental method for PEEK will be a good guide to get us started.

Thanks again.

best regards.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2020 10:13 pm
louis
(@louis)
Member Admin

@mikeallan  No problem, my pleasure.

Interestingly, I would say that it is not necessarily harder to work with high temperature plastics than polyolefins. But the risk of clogging the machine definitely increases 😉 

What I can add is that PEKK is sometimes mechanically very tough, and thus tricky to put around a spool.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know and I will gladly help.

I would be curious to hear about your results.

Best regards

Louis

Best regards,
Louis

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/02/2020 9:00 am