Notifications
Clear all

Small modification

Poida
(@poida)
Eminent Member

Hi All

Having knocked the acrylic tube off the top of the Composer just after filling it (who else has? C'mon, be honest!) I lasered a collar for it, and then decided a lid would be good too - keeps bugs and other foreign matter out.

Really helps.

Cheers

Poida

1625536334-Collar-and-lid.jpg
Topic starter Posted : 06/07/2021 1:52 am
louis
(@louis)
Member Admin

Hello @poida ,

Thank you for this new idea, and for being so active on our Forum (I will reply to your other posts asap 😉 )

I must confess, I think I never knocked over the transparent cylinder, but I can totally picture that situation 😆 

I think your design is great. I have been thinking of ways to stick little bags of silica gel inside the cylinder/hopper as well, in little compartments. This way, dry material would remain dry, and clean, for hours.

As always, thank you for helping us all. Please always feel free to ask for help or share new ideas

Best regards,
Louis

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2021 2:15 pm
Adrian
(@adrian)

@louis You Could make a double-walled Arcylic cylinder, with a 1 cm Gap. The inner Cylinder would have small holes drilled. Then you could fill the gap with Reusedable silica beads. Once the beads lose their colour /effectiveness, you just have to microwave them for a few minutes and put them back. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2021 1:31 am
louis
(@louis)
Member Admin

Dear @adrian ,

Thank you for that idea. I just moved the topic to the Filament Maker Innovation section 😉 

I cannot quantify exactly how long it takes for polymers to absorb a critical amount of moisture again in the hopper, but adding bags of desicant would definitely help keep moisture at bay. 

Placing the bags in a separate compartment (between the two walls) is a very smart idea. I will note it down for future development. 

For now, so long as you leave the hopper safety grid in place, you also have the option to place desicant bags directly in the hopper with the material - provided that the desicant bags are bigger than the holes of the safety grid. 

If you do make a prototype, I would be curious to see the pictures 

Please feel free to share more questions and ideas

Best regards,
Louis

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/10/2021 11:54 am
Share: