Notifications
Clear all

PET Temperature

HSU_HH
(@hsu_hh)

In one of your recent videos "step by step: how to recycle PET bottles from A-Z" I can see, that your Airid uses a different user Interface. When I try to set the temperature at your recommended 140°C for PET drying, it only lets me set it to a maximum of 110°C. An Update for the Airid is not available on your homepage. I want to recycle PET bottels too, so I would like to be able to use the same settings as a benchmark for my kind of PET.

Topic starter Posted : 24/03/2021 3:48 pm
louis
(@louis)
Member Admin

Hello @hsu_hh

Thank you for being interesting in our PET videos 😉 

I am sorry, for it took me a bit of time to investigate the situation. You are totally right : PET should be dried at 140°C. Our Airid Dryers are capable of reaching 160°C.

Your Airid currently runs an older firmware version. I will send you a private email with more detail in just a moment. 

I am very sorry about the inconvenience.

Best regards,
Louis

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2021 10:01 am
Valentin liked
Valentin
(@valentin)

Hello and thank you for the very instructive forum.
To build on this topic, I have dried my PET for 4hours at 160 C qui I see no change in weight.
As far as I know, by releasing its moister the pet should lose weight right?
From videos seen here and there is should be about 5%. 
Am I right?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2021 7:02 am
Valentin
(@valentin)

ok I found my answer - it seems the weight moisture weight is only about o.o5%.
So quite difficult to measure.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2021 7:59 am
louis
(@louis)
Member Admin

Hello @valentin  ,

Thank you very much for asking, and also for replying 😉 

You are right : the target moisture content is typically 0.05%wt. Some manufacturers even recommend 0.025%wt.

In order to measure this, you would need to use a special moisture analyzer device. (this would pretty much be a very accurate weighing scale combined with a heated chamber). 

If you do not have access to such a device, you can try extruding your PET. If the extrusion test is succesful without any bubbles, then it means the drying step was good enough.

Do you have any further questions ? I would be curious to hear about your results.

This video might help https://youtu.be/HBCOyyY73e0  

Best regards,
Louis

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2021 11:36 am